18 July 2006

internet in Ladakh?

As I mentioned in my last post, I am in Ladakh, which is the eastern half of the state of Jammu & Kashmir. There is much to write about, but internet here has to be accessed by satellite or I don't know what, and it's about nine times as expensive as Delhi or Kathmandu. So that is why I haven't been writing anything here. I have some offline notes, though, that I might be able to get up here soon.

While Leh is a little oasis of international travellers and the comforts that come with them, it is about as remote a place I have ever seen or known. It took about 20 hours in a jeep to get here from the town of Manali in Himachal Pradesh, and we passed little more than a few tents that whole time. Many or even most people fly here, but I don't think they have any real sense of where they are. Anyway, I'll be able to describe more later, hopefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home