09 August 2006

the end of the road

This must be super quick because I am at the most expensive internet station in India, I think, a small satellite connection in Padum, capital village of the Zanskar region of Jammu & Kashmir. It is perhaps the farthest away from everything else I have ever been. If you are interested you can bring up a map online. It is at the very end of a long "road" that is really just a trail of rocks with traces of wheel tracks, that stretches from Kargil about 250 km into the heart of this state. It nearly killed me to get here. Took a week and a variety of transportation methods. Now I'm about to head with a friend walking beyond the roads into the mountains to visit some remote monasteries. This will take four or five days. I will not be fully back online for quite a while, so if I don't respond to emails, that is why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home